Sometimes, You just want a sandwich. It’s simplicity is enticing, to be sure. But that doesn’t mean you have to eat a plain old cold cut. In fact, I’d prefer we didn’t eat cold cuts anymore. (My husband and I spent a long time eating predominantly ham sandwiches on wonder bread- it’s a time I don’t ever want to revisit.)
Nay, allow the culinary genius in you to thrive- without working too hard. This Italian beef sandwich is hot, juicy, and the perfect combination of flavors: peppery meat, sweet crunchy peppers, smooth swiss cheese, and lightly toasted french bread to soak it all up.
And the best part? It cooks in the crock pot!
Italian Beef Sandwiches
- 2 lbs beef brisket
- 1 tbsp olive oil-packed1 can beef broth
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tsp dried oregano leaves
- 1 tsp dried basil leaves
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ¼ tsp red pepper
- 2 green bell peppers
- 1 roll french bread
- Trim fat from meat, brown in a frying pan with oil.
- While meat browns, put all ingredients (except bread and bell peppers) into the crock pot.
- Add the meat.
- Cook for 6-8 hours.
- 15 minutes before you sit down to eat, remove seeds and cores from peppers, slice thinly. Add to the crock pot.
- Set the oven to broil on high.
- Slice french bread into desired sandwich size pieces, top each half (on the bread side) with swiss cheese, arrange on a cookie sheet.
- Toast bread in the oven for 5-8 minutes, or until bread is golden and cheese is melted.
- Assemble sandwiches, eat.
Do you have a favorite hot sandwich recipe? Share it in the comments!
Download the .pdf of this recipe: Italian Beef Sandwiches