I don’t know about you, but I grew up knowing one kind of pancake mix: Bisquik. It was the perfect addition to any kitchen- it was easy, flavorful, and required little to no prep. In fact, these qualities still hold true today. Another aspect of Bisquik I’ve learned since becoming the “chef” for our household: that stuff goes fast. It doesn’t seem to matter what size of a box I buy, I’ve rarely got enough. (This could just be me, but seriously, I feel like I say “I’m out of Bisquik” an awful lot.)
So what to do when your box of Bisquik is almost out, but the family wants pancakes? Make your own Bisquik mix with just a few simple ingredients.
Homemade Instant Pancake Mix
Recipe borrowed from The Food Network.
Ingredients (for mix):
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons sugar
Ingredients (for batter):
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
Directions (for mix):
- Mix together ingredients, put into a jar/tupperware container.
Directions (for batter):
- For each 1 cup pancake mix, add 1 egg, 1 cup milk, and 1 tablespoon melted butter. Do not overmix.
- Heat a flat griddle or pan over medium-high heat.
- Spoon batter onto the hot griddle and when bubbles appear on the surface of the pancakes, flip them over to make them golden brown on both sides.
Now, of course you could top those delicious homemade pancakes with simple butter and maple syrup. The family would be happy, and heck, it’s easy, right? But… if you’re feeling creative, (or maybe you’re just in need of a “Wow, honey, these are amazing” compliment), you could make some blueberry syrup. And don’t worry- it’s only a teensy bit more labor intensive than regular syrup.
Recipe borrowed from The Food Network
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1 ½ cups blueberries
- Combine ingredients in a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat, put in a pouring container for use on pancakes.
Do you have a favorite homemade version of a classic breakfast? Share it in the comments!
Download the .pdf version of these recipes: