Heaven’s gift to mankind, especially the pregnant folk.
But what to do when one has no cocoa or chocolate to speak of? Dig out the brown sugar and go to town.
I recently tried this recipe (originally from my Better Homes and Gardens cookbook) when I realized that I had promised a dessert to my husband for a dinner party and had yet to come up with any ideas. Not only had I procrastinated on the idea-making process, which is normal, but I had also left myself less than one hour until the dessert was required to make an appearance and “wow” the diners. As you can imagine, I was in a bind. No time to run to the store, no time to bake a cake. No time to even brainstorm about it. I needed to make something delectable pronto- and with whatever was in the cupboard.
After about three minutes of recipe-scanning, I found this one- and oh my word- they really are blonde brownies- and you know what… they might just be more fun.
Originally from The Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook.
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2/3 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (f)
- Grease a 9×13 pan, set aside.
- In a saucepan, stir together brown sugar and butter until smooth.
- Remove from heat, allow to cool for 5 minutes or so.
- Stir in eggs, one at a time.
- Add vanilla.
- Add baking powder.
- Add baking soda.
- Add flour.
- Pour into baking pan.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired.