Mexican restaurants are always on the top of our “short list” when we go out to eat. My favorite thing to order, bar-none, is carnitas. There’s something about the salty, citrusy flavor of the pork that just does it for me. Here’s my at-home rendition:
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp crumbled dried oregano
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp brown sugar
- 1 (2-4 lb) boneless pork shoulder roast
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 cups chicken broth
- Combine all ingredients except roast, bay leaves, and broth in a bowl.
- Roll roast in the spice mixture, covering all surfaces, and using all of it.
- Layer bay leaves in the bottom of the crock pot, top with roast.
- Pour chicken broth over the top, put the lid on, cook for 6-8 hours on low.
- Serve with your favorite fajita/taco toppings and tortillas.
Do you have a favorite carnitas recipe? We’d love to hear it. Share the link/recipe in the comments.
Download the .pdf of this recipe: Carnitas