Let me begin by first acknowledging the fact that yes, it is Friday, and yes, this slot is normally reserved for our awesome Healthy Bites with Holly column. This week, Holly’s been gallivanting around the country on business, so she asked if I would take over her post for today. I said yes, she said thanks, and here are.
Now, a confession:
I’m getting fat. Well, that’s not really accurate. I was already over my ideal weight, (by quite a bit), when I got pregnant. From there, I started staying home with my son, finished my bachelor’s degree, started this blog, and decided it was a good time to go house-hunting. All good things in themselves, but added together, they make for a wicked stress cocktail. And do you know how I handle stress, my dear friends? If the content of my blog doesn’t give you a hint, then I’ll just come out with it: I cook. Then I eat. Then I repeat.
Having repeated this three-step-stress-reliever over and over for the past four months, you can probably understand why my doctor looked at me with that disapproving look I know too well and said, “Shellina, you’re up in your weight this month. What do you think might be contributing to that?” I only had one response to this question. I laughed. He gave me a quizzical look, the said, “I’m serious.” I admitted to my emotional eating, he told me to stop doing that, I agreed, and we moved on with the exam.
And then came the hard part, you see, because I had agreed to stop doing that, so now I have to stop. And part of stopping includes not making terrible (if not delectable and amazing and mouth-wateringly tempting) food for myself and my family. I need to become the HEALTHY Frugal Flambe, or something close to it. And I shall… slowly.
This recipe is my first step in doing so- a healthy option that still fits the requirements of a Frugal Flambe recipe: it’s quick, it’s easy, it’s cost-effective, and above all, it tastes darn good.
Mild Coconut Curry Chicken
Recipe adapted from The Family Kitchen.
- 2 chicken breasts
- 3/4 cup greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1/2 sweet onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon yellow curry powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 (15-ounce) can fat-free coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3-4 cups cooked white rice
- fresh lime slices for garnish
- Preheat the oven to broil.
- Spread 1/2 cup of the yogurt on the chicken breasts.
- Place the chicken directly on the top rack of your oven and broil until the chicken is cooked through, and slightly charred on the outside, about 4-6 minutes per side.
- Remove chicken from the oven and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Cook the mushrooms, red bell pepper, and onion slices until softened, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the curry and turmeric and cook for a minute longer. Add the coconut milk and honey. Salt to taste.
- Slice the chicken into slices and stir it into the curry mixture.
- Serve over rice with lime.
Have you recently made the switch to using healthier ingredients in your cooking? If so, we’d love to see your recipes! Share them in the the comments.
Download the .pdf version of this recipe: Coconut Curry Chicken