When you are trying to let go of unhealthy eating habits, the siren song of the fattening foods call out to drag you to the dangerous shoals. Pizza commercials are my siren songs. I cannot change the channel fast enough to stop my mouth from watering when I see the cheesy goodness of a hot slice of pizza on the screen. I am so glad I finally found this amazing recipe. It is easy to prepare, the ingredients are not exotic or hard to find, and the result is a moist casserole that tastes just like pizza (or maybe even a little better).
Even better, I can vouch for the family friendly nature of this dish. Back in the day, when my children were still in grade school, I had to find low calorie dinners that would fit in my diet plan that my family would eat and not complain about. Over the years, this became their favorite “momma’s on a diet” recipe. It is no surprise that this recipe eventually became a family staple, even after the diet stopped. You really need to try this…it tastes sinfully delicious.
- 8 ounces ground turkey or for a nice twist, try 8 ounces spicy turkey sausage1/2 cup onion (chopped)
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper (chopped) (you can add any vegies you like on pizza, like mushrooms or zucchini)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 (15 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce (or more depending on your taste)
- 1 (7 1/2 ounce) can Pillsbury Reduced Fat refrigerated biscuits
- 1/3 cup low-fat cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and spray an 8×8 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a non stick large skillet brown the turkey. Add the granulated garlic and salt and pepper to taste.
- Add green pepper, onion and any other vegies you are including. Continue to stir fry until the onions are slightly opaque.
- Stir in stewed tomatoes and the rest of the spices. Cook on medium heat for about 5 minutes until the mixture is hot and flavors are throughout.
- Open biscuit package and separate biscuits. Cut each biscuit into 4 pieces. Place biscuits in the bottom of the oiled baking dish.
- Pour the meat mixture over the biscuits. Ensure all the biscuits are covered with the mixture.
- Place baking dish into the preheated oven and bake 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle shredded cheddar and mozzarella cheese over the top and continue baking until cheese melts, about 5 minutes
This dish makes 4 plentiful servings. Serve this with a side salad with shredded parmesan cheese on the table and you will make yourself (and your family) very happy that you are eating healthy. Do you have a tried and true low cal/point recipe that you and your family loves? Leave me a comment and a link and let’s share.
Nutritional Information per serving: Calories: 268 Fat: 2.5g Total Carb: 31g Dietary Fiber: 4g Protein: 5g – Weight Watchers Plus Points: 7
Download the .pdf of this recipe: Crazy Pizza
Holly is the mother of three grown daughters, and has recently embarked on her own journey of weight loss and healthy living. Convinced that the key to her success is smart, but manageable, eating choices, she is now a regular columnist for The Frugal Flambe- you can catch her posts every Friday right here! Join her every week as she shares her triumphs and successes, and maybe a couple of stumbles along the way. Eating healthy doesn’t have to be horrible- Holly can do it, and so can you.